Island Wide Chimney Services is PEI’s premier, full-service dealer. We provide sales, installation, inspection and maintenance services on everything we sell.
Pellet Stove Basics
Pellet stoves look like free-standing wood stoves and burn pellets made of renewable materials such as wood chips and sawdust. Pellets are generally sold in 40-pound bags and are readily available for purchase at home improvement stores. A good quality pellet stove thoroughly burns every pellet, and one bag can heat a home for up to 24 hours. Depending on the size of the stove you purchase and your home’s floor plan, you may be able to heat your whole home with a pellet stove.
Thanks to technology incorporated into today’s pellet stoves, they are convenient, easy-to-use, highly efficient and environmentally responsible. Unlike traditional wood fireplaces, pellet stoves have programmable thermostats that adjust heat output – and some can control room temperature within 1 degree of the set temperature. Pellet stoves burn so efficiently that they emit extremely low outside air particulates and very little ash is created, which minimizes clean up. Some models even have automatic cleaning cycles, reducing maintenance even more.
Lots of homeowners install a pellet stove to supplement their primary heating system. The additional heat generated by a pellet stove allows you to turn down your home’s thermostat by 10-15 degrees, using the pellet stove to zone heat the rooms you use most. If your home is heated with propane, fuel oil or electricity, your savings can be compounded simply by the fact that pellets cost less.
Pellet Stove Maintenance
Island Wide Chimney Services recommends the annual cleaning of all fireplaces, chimneys, and vents. Pellet stoves require annual maintenance after every two tons of pellets are burned. Annually we will arrive and do the following pellet stove maintenance and operation list, typically:
- Removal of pellets,
vacuumof debris, inspection of hopper, auger plate, pressure and/or latch switches
- Chimney sweep – clean/vacuum ash from liner and exhaust venting
- Combustion and Convection Blowers: Clean, lubricate as needed
- Auger motor: clean and lubricate as needed
- Visual inspection of all electrical wiring, heat switches, and vacuum sensors
- Cleaning of the entire firebox including burn pot, ignition assembly, exhaust ports and heat exchangers
- Inspection of door seal and exhaust seals
- Cleaning of stove glass door
- Test electrical sensors and igniter for continuity and working order
- Start-up of the stove to make sure all components are working properly
Contact Island Wide Chimney Services for all your Pellet Stove needs.
Products We Sell
Click on any of the links below to view products from our Suppliers